Thursday, 2 January 2014

Thanksgiving

This time, I'm about to talk about Thanksgiving Day, which is something I'm quite unfamiliar with. The main reason for that is that I've never, ever in my whole life, seen anybody celebrate it. Why ? Well, probably because I live in Europe and not in the USA. This raises one important question - would I like to celebrate it in Europe ?

First of all, you have to understand that I have nothing personal against the US, their commons and traditions. But on the other hand, I don't run around with a star-spangled t-shirt either. I respect our (read Czech) traditions and my own ancestors. But why should I celebrate something that happened on a place as remote as 6500 km ? That's not going to happen. I highly doubt that the citizens of the US are aware of our customs (or even our existence), and that they would start celebrating Czech anniversaries. So why should we ? Alright, it would be fine to eat a turkey once a year, but that's about it.

So my answer this time is probably pretty easy one to guess - no, I wouldn't like to and I won't celebrate Thanksgiving Day, as it in fact means nothing to me. On top of that, I think that nations should try to keep and preserve their own traditions and stop trying to assimilate everything that comes from the west. That's my opinion, that's how I see it. And I hope no harm was done by admitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment